Monday, January 9, 2012

5e Apathy

A number of great blogs have covered the Wizards of the Coast announcement of the upcoming D&D 5e game from WOTC, so I won't say much about the announcement or my thoughts on the development of the game.  But I guess my initial feeling is simply apathy.  I just don't have a need for it.  At least not at the moment.

You see, I already have all my gaming needs covered quite well.  If I want to play old-old school, I can bust out Swords & Wizardry or OD&D.  If I want to play old-school, I can bust out AD&D or B/X.  If I'm in the mood for a modern game, I can bust out Pathfinder.

So I just don't see the need for 5e in my world.

But am I a hater?  Hell no!  I wish WOTC all the luck in the world in producing a high quality game that will resonate with new and old gamers alike.  I'm not some old, crusty grognard.  In fact, my group played PF for a while last year.

It's just that my every possible gaming need is already met.  And the internet is packed with low-cost or free gaming material that rocks!  So my hard-earned dollars won't likely be spent on D&D the 5th.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah same sentiments here really... I can't imagine buying 5th edition books even if the game was really good. To be honest I'd far rather give money to OSR type people producing cool stuff on a hobbyist / semi-pro level than to a huge company like WotC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, totally agree. Right now, my gaming wish list is all small/indie products. And it's definitely not me being "charitable." I just find that the OSR products are better and more interesting than the mass market stuff. So I get a product that I love and at the same time support this community. If WOTC put out stuff that was compelling to me, I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased Labyrinth Lord and the AEC in December. First gaming books I've bought in years. I have always met new editions with a certain amount of exasperation. "Really... I've got to drop another hundred bucks or so into RULES?" I bought some 3.0 books, skipped 3.5, and was never even interested in looking at 4.0.

    The main reason for choosing Labyrinth Lord is that the pdfs are free to download, so anyone can join in. I'm trying to get my Sh*t together so I can start an online game soon. Real life keeps interfering.

    I love the fact that there is so much free and cheap stuff out there. I'd much rather support creativity than big business. They guys actually writing the material for the big publishers have never gotten paid squat anyway. I'd much rather put the dollars directly into their hands.

    But yeah... I do wish WOTC luck. We all stand to gain if it is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said.

    By the way, I really want to run Labyrinth Lord for my gaming group. But for some reason, they really just want to play B/X or 1e. Similarly, I wanted to run Mutant Future instead of Gamma World because it's a more organized, supported product. But they said they would rather do GW. I think there's a lot of nostalgia involved there. But they're great guys so I'm flexible! I'm just happy to have a group.

    ReplyDelete